Thursday, August 29, 2013

Rainy Soup Day







I love autumn. 

It's quite possibly my most favorite time of the year. I got my first pumpkin spice latte of the season today (yes, I am aware it is not quite ACTUALLY fall, but it was rainy and dreary and gloomy outside, just let me have this, okay?!) and it inspired me to just go all out autumn errrrythang today.

I bring you...

TACO SOUP





Here's the deal. You can't screw this up. If you actually manage to mess this up, I will give you an award of some kind. You can use any canned beans you have on hand, add diced potatoes or squash for some extra umph, etc. Get creative. Here is what I used today:

  • 1 can Simple Truth Organic kidney beans
  • 1 can Simple Truth Organic pinto beans
  • 1 can Simple Truth Organic great northern beans
  • 2 cans Simple Truth Organic diced tomatoes (the kind with no salt added)
  • 1 can Simple Truth Organic yellow corn
  • 1 small can La Victoria diced green chiles
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 lbs. Simple Truth Organic ground turkey
  • 1 packet of ranch seasoning
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning
Brown your meat. Open all cans. Add all cans (do not drain anything!) to crockpot. Add meat to crockpot. Add water and packets to crock. Stir that stuff up. Turn said crock on for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low, it makes no difference. Go about your business and come back and enjoy for din din.

See what I mean? Try and mess this up. My husband will top this with tortilla chips and a dollop of sour cream. That makes it extra amazing. I won't, because minus that it's actually a pretty healthy dinner. And I'm watching my girlish figure (read: I would rather use those calories for a glass of wine dessert later). 

I'm gonna try and post some more recipes in the coming weeks/months. Let me know what you think!



2 comments:

  1. This is how I make chili! (Only with different seasonings.) I make a double batch every time, and then freeze half of it. I love knowing there is chili in the freezer for a night that I really REALLY don't want to cook. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We froze half of it and do the same thing! It really is perfect for that! LOVE the crockpot, in the summer it's nice to not have to turn the oven on and heat the house and in the winter it makes the whole house smell delicious and warm!

      Delete